What is Foundation Repair?
Foundation repair is the process of fixing or reinforcing the foundation of a building or structure. The foundation is the part of the building that sits on the ground and supports the rest of the structure, so it is essential to the stability and safety of the building. When the foundation is damaged or weakened, it can lead to significant problems, such as cracks in the walls or floors, doors and windows that don’t open or close properly, and even the collapse of the building in severe cases. Foundation repair can help to prevent these problems by strengthening the foundation and restoring its stability. This is typically done by a professional foundation repair company that has the necessary equipment and expertise to assess the damage and determine the best course of action.
What causes foundation damage to a home?
There are several factors that can cause damage to a home’s foundation. Some of the most common causes of foundation damage include:
- Poor construction: If a foundation is not built properly, it may not be able to support the weight of the building and may eventually start to crack or shift.
- Soil movement: The ground beneath a foundation can shift or settle over time, which can put pressure on the foundation and cause it to crack or settle. This is especially common in areas with clay soil, which can expand and contract due to changes in moisture levels.
- Water damage: Excess moisture in the soil around a foundation can cause it to shift or settle, leading to damage. This can be caused by things like flooding, leaks, or poor drainage around the foundation.
- Tree roots: The roots of large trees can grow under a foundation and push against it, causing it to crack or shift.
- Poor maintenance: Failing to properly maintain a foundation, such as by not addressing small cracks or other signs of damage, can allow the problem to get worse over time.
How can you prevent foundation damage to a home?
There are several steps you can take to prevent damage to your home’s foundation. These include:
- Properly prepare the site before construction: This includes making sure the ground is level and compacted, and taking steps to prevent soil erosion.
- Use good-quality materials and construction techniques: This will ensure that the foundation is strong and able to support the weight of the building.
- Monitor and maintain the foundation: Regularly inspect the foundation for signs of damage, such as cracks or unevenness, and address any problems as soon as possible.
- Keep the soil around the foundation well-drained: Make sure there is good drainage around the foundation to prevent water from pooling and causing damage.
- Avoid planting large trees near the foundation: The roots of large trees can grow under the foundation and cause damage, so it’s best to avoid planting them close to the house.
- Avoid overloading the foundation: Don’t add too much weight to the foundation by, for example, storing heavy items in the basement or building a large addition onto the house. This can put extra stress on the foundation and cause it to crack or settle.
AAA Foundation Service
If you live in the Houston area and need assistance with your foundation repair, there is only one call to make. Trust the professionals of AAA Foundation Service to provide honest information about your foundation issues. Call us today and we will get you setup with an in-depth inspection, free repair estimate, and a list of solutions. 713-467-8981
Schedule Your Free Estimate Today!
0% Financing for 18 Months